Intro

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Divine


Friday, March 7, 2014

Seeking Low Carb, GF Brownie Perfection

  
Just in case you've never spent 5 minutes in the same room with me, I'll tell you something that everyone who has, already knows. I am a perfectionist.

By perfectionist, I don't mean, I'm meeting every goal, or I'm striving for excellence, or doing my personal best or any of that nonsense that was drilled into us in high school. No, I mean perfect-ionist. Some people will tell you, "there's no such thing as perfection," but I beg to differ. My most persuasive argument against this accusation is simply to feed the offending imperfectionist my Chocolate Butter Cake cupcakes, and that tends to convert them all on it's own. I have tasted perfection. 

Thanks to that taste I've developed for perfection, I'm also acutely aware of the imperfections in so many of my recipes. This recipe is NOT perfect. It's good. Satisfying. Enjoyable even. But perfect, it is not. I will continue to bake and re-bake, as I always do, in search of low carb brownie perfection. Meanwhile, here is the merely good and satisfying for you to enjoy at your leisure.

(This recipe is a part of my low carb GF diet project and calls for natural alternative sweeteners)

Low Carb Coconut Brownies
Yields one 8x8 pan of brownies or 9-12 servings
(Approximately 1-2.5 effective carbs per 1/9th depending upon your choice of cocoa brands)

Preheat Oven to 325*F/165*C

Dry Bowl:
Sift into bowl
   1C (86g) Cocoa Powder (I use Rapunzel. It can be hard to find, but it's sooo good, and ultra low in carbs too!)
Add, then whisk all together to combine
   1/2 C (40g) Desiccated Coconut
   1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
   1/2 tsp Salt

Mixer Bowl:
Cream together until well combined and almost fluffy
   1C (216g) Coconut Oil
   1/2 C (68g) Chicory Root Fiber (I used a brand called Just Like Sugar that I found at Whole Foods)
   1/4 C (49g) Erythritol (You could probably get away with a little less of this if you care to)
Scrape down the sides of the mixer and beat in 
   3 Large Eggs
   1 Tb Vanilla Extract
Slow the mixer to a stir and add in the dry ingredients a little at a time
Once they're stirred in, bring up the mixer speed and beat until well combined and uniform

8x8 Baking Dish:
Grease the bottom and sides of your baking dish lightly with a little oil or palm oil shortening
Spread the thick batter/dough** into the pan as evenly as possible
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the center no longer appears damp and springs back when touched lightly 
Cool at least 10 minutes before attempting to slice, they will also taste more sweet the more you let them cool
Cool completely before storing in an airtight container



**Warning- Ridiculous Dawn Rant:
Seriously, what's up with brownie batter? I mean it's so bloody thick, you can hardly call it a batter. But on the other hand, it is a bit damp for a dough. So what is it really? Stiff batter? Damp dough? Maybe it's the missing batter-dough link, like a doubat or a badough... Yes, it must be a badough. 
Thanks for helping me to work through that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment